These are some studies that I made for a Rockwell copy that I am working on. I first made the drawing which is scaled to the exact size (16"x16") of the detail of Rockwell's "Freedom of Speech" painting . It was drawn on cream Canson edition paper with thin willow charcoal and some carbon pencil. I used a stump and sometimes my finger to blend the marks. Then I scanned the drawing and printed it small (7"x7"). I applied a mixture of shellac and denatured alcohol (50/50) over the print of my drawing and did my oil sketch. I used sable brushes and the usual pigments that Rockwell used. I used ivory black, zinc white, ultramarine blue, viridian green, alizarin crimson, cadmium red deep, vermillion, burnt sienna, raw umber, yellow ochre, raw sienna and lemon yellow. Also, I used the same medium that he used which was Grumbacher's Oil Medium No.2 mixed with a little turpentine. I used gum turpentine but Rockwell used rectified turpentine.