Friday, May 4, 2012

Bouguereau "Cherry Picker" Studies


                                   

These are some studies I made for a Bouguereau copy that I was working on.  I used Bouguereau's sketching medium of copal, linseed oil and turpentine for the grisaille study.The medium consisted of 6 parts gum turpentine, 1 part linseed oil and 3 drops of copal.  This medium is very movable with a fan brush and dries matte.  If too much copal is added to this medium, additional layers of paint film on top of it will have trouble with adhesion. This medium takes 3 days to completely dry.  I worked in glazes and couched (applied a light layer of the medium that I was using on the surface with a rag) the area that I would be painting at the start of each session.  I worked general to specific by keeping the painting atmospheric until the last session where I added sharper edges in specific places.

No comments: